First of all, I like this title. It’s almost a warning, isn’t it? Things are going to get tough so you better be checking your foundation.
There is a video that I like to use when going over Helaman 5. It shows the importance of having a firm foundation. Without a firm base the metronomes fall into sync with each other. Likewise, without a firm faith base we could fall in line with anything else that comes along.
Elder Stevenson actually poses some thought questions. But here are a few I thought of as well.
- What is my foundation made of?
- If I am currently in the light have I written my testimony down?
- If I am currently in a mist of darkness have I read my testimony from former times when I was in the light?
- Worst case scenario, how would I react?
- How much time do I spend daily on strengthening my foundation?
- When was the last time I allowed the Spirit to communicate with me?
A Good Foundation against the Time to Come by Elder Gary E. Stevenson
2 thoughts on “General conference thoughts: A Good Foundation against the Time to Come”
I love the questions you came up with. I learn so much more when I ask myself questions as I read the scriptures and let the Spirit whisper the answers.
For me, it is a way to engage in the reading. To make sure I’m not taking the word for granted, making it personal, and applying it.