The thing I noticed about our time is you gotta know the why. As I have stated before, gone are the days of luxury, scenic routes to testimony. You have to know the what and the why or your testimony will crumble like an elaborate sand castle.
It reminds me of one of our first Come, Follow Me lessons for 2020. When we discussed Lehi’s dream and Nephi’s interpretation of the groups of people and their relationship with the iron rod. In 1 Nephi 8:24-28 we read about a group of people who held the iron rod and made it to the tree. But the description of their grasp of the word of God is telling because it describes them as “clinging.”
Now, when I picture ‘clinging’ I envision a white knuckle, unsustainable grip. In other words, perhaps this group of people focused on the wrong thing, missed the mark, and did not build sustainable, life-giving testimonies.
Both of the talks today help us to reflect on our why and how to hold onto the iron rod in a way that promotes growth and life.
- Why am I here today?
- What do I need to get out of church today to grow my testimony?
- How can I actively participate in the ongoing Restoration of the gospel?
- What is my focus today?
- Am I in a place to help others come to the tree?
- Have I partaken of the fruit of the tree today?
- What is my why?
- What relationship needs strengthened this week? How will I do it?
Deep in Our Heart by Douglas D.Holmes
Come Unto Christ – Living as Latter-day Saints by Elder John A. McCune